With EMEA annoucement letter ZP13-0262 (april 23rd 2013) IBM has announced Â „DB2 10.5 with BLU Acceleration, the multi-workload database software for the era of big data, improves performance while helping to reduce storage costs“.
New and improved DB2 capabilities:
- Analytics at the speed of thought: DB2’s new BLU Acceleration feature is in-memory hybrid column-organized table technology that yields faster analytics from data warehousing without the costs or limits of in-memory only systems. It speeds analytics and reporting with a combination of in-memory and column store data retrieval, maximized CPU processing, and data skipping that allows for faster input/output.
- Always available transactions: The pureScale clustered database technology now includes support for high availability disaster recovery (HADR). Use HADR to mirror data from your primary pureScale database cluster to a second local or remote standby pureScale cluster. If entire primary cluster goes offline, the standby cluster is fully synchronized and is designed to take over the load in seconds, minimizing impact to business.
- Future-proof versatility: The addition of mobile capabilities allows clients to expand and modernize applications now and ensure IT infrastructure is ready for the future. Enhanced Oracle Database compatibility continues DB2’s legacy of infrastructure flexibility and differentiates DB2 from stack-only vendors‘ products. DB2 10.5 includes IBM Mobile Database and IBM Mobile Database Sync, a relational database and synchronization solution for managing and using data on mobile and embedded devices. Currently, the most popular mobile platform, Android, is supported. IBM Mobile Database Sync Server synchronizes data between DB2 and IBM Mobile Database running on mobile and embedded devices. DB2 10.5 is even more versatile than before with enhanced Oracle PL/SQL compatibility.
- Packaging: All of the functionality and tools are included in the following lineup of six editions and one feature:
- DB2 Advanced Enterprise Server Edition
- DB2 Enterprise Server Edition
- DB2 Advanced Workgroup Server Edition
- DB2 Workgroup Server Edition
- DB2 ExpressÂ® Server Edition
- DB2 Developer Edition
- DB2 Advanced Recovery Feature
General availability: July 26th 2013 (media availability date).
For detail information see …
- IBM’s announcement letter ZP13-0262
- What’s new in DB2 10.5 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows (IBM 04/2013)
- DB2 10.5 Technical Overview (IBM Information Management Forum, Berlin, 04/2013, PDF)